Black bear attacks are very rare but there are things you can do to help prevent unwanted situations at your campsite. Most are related to food because a Black Bear’s main priority is putting on weight for winter hibernation. Bears begin to lose their natural fear of humans if an easy food source is routinely available to them. Here are five tips for bear prevention at your campsite.
- Put garbage in containers with a tight-fitting lid and store in a bear-proof location. Remove this garbage from your campsite as often as you can.
- Get rid of all food residue from your grill. Empty the grease trap as well.
- Do not store any food or coolers outside.
- Remove all utensils and dishes at the end of the night.
- Don’t let your pet sleep outdoors.
Learn more about bears and bear prevention at www.ontario.ca/bearwise