Our friends at RVshare, the world’s first and largest peer-to-peer RV rental marketplace, today revealed their 2022 Travel Trend Report, predicting that next year will be a robust year as nearly all (90%) of survey respondents said they are “very” or even 100% likely to travel for leisure in 2022.
The report details how important the travel intentions of Americans are for the RV industry, as results of the survey indicate that Road Trips and RVing remain popular as nearly half of likely 2022 travellers plan on taking a road trip or vacation in an RV in the next 12 months. This is particularly true for millennials and Gen Xers. Additionally, three-quarters of respondents indicate that their ability to work remotely will be a “key consideration” in how they travel in 2022.
Interested in learning more? Read the executive summary of the report, below.
See the full report here, detailing RVshare’s findings about anticipated travel trends for 2022.
America’s Interest in RV Travel Continues Steady Rise
AUSTIN, Texas and AKRON, Ohio, December 2, 2021, – Today, RVshare, the world’s first and largest peer-to-peer RV rental marketplace, revealed findings from its 2022 Travel Trend Report, predicting that next year will be a blockbuster year for travel as nearly all (90%) of survey respondents say they’re very or even 100% likely to travel for leisure next year. According to the survey, Americans’ desire to travel to clear their minds, escape, enjoy wide open roads, and discover new places has increased since 2020. Additionally, 2022 ushers in a new age of travel as flexible work becomes a permanent lifestyle for many Americans. This shift will have long term effects on the way people travel and approach trip planning in the next year and beyond.
These results are among key findings from the RVshare 2022 Travel Trend Report produced by RVshare and Wakefield Research, following a comprehensive analysis of consumer sentiment, travel behaviours, and internal booking data to identify the top travel trends of 2022.
“As the global travel industry makes its return, we focused our research on more deeply understanding and assessing the emerging motivators and desires of today’s travellers,” said RVshare’s CEO Jon Gray. “Our findings are encouraging and reflect the ongoing evolution of the travel industry, proving that desire to hit the road has never been stronger. While 2020 and 2021 may have been a time of discovery for many when it comes to RV travel, the category is growing in demand as more and more people find RV and motorhome accommodations appealing for a number of priorities and reasons.”
Continue reading below for a summary of other notable findings, trend predictions and statistics surrounding the rise of RV road tripping, flexibility in travel and work schedules, family travel, ‘camping out’ at events, and more. A link to view the report in its entirety can be found here.
After over a year of pandemic-related travel restrictions, Americans are eager to get back out and travel again, and RV travel is on people’s minds, specifically Millennials and Gen Xers. Nearly half of likely 2022 travellers plan on taking a road trip or vacation in an RV in the next 12 months. Travellers are interested in making long road trips more exciting; experiencing nature while reconnecting with travel partners; and clearing their minds to escape, explore and discover new places.
- 53% of travellers say they’re likely to consider renting an RV for a trip in the future.
- 45% of travellers surveyed included RVs in their top three preferred types of accommodations, a 13% increase from 2020.
- 70% of Millennials and 54% of Gen Xers are planning on taking a road trip or vacation in an RV in the next 12 months.
- 74% of travellers have reported that local diners and dives are their favourite stops during road trips.
Flexible Work, Flexible Travel: The New Normal
Many Americans took advantage of the option to work while travelling in 2021, capitalizing on the opportunity to book and plan more spontaneous and longer trips due to more flexible working environments. The “work from anywhere” trend will continue to be a hot topic with more than three-quarters of respondents indicating that their ability to work remotely will be a “key consideration” in how they travel in 2022.
- 76% of employed travellers had the option to work remotely in 2021 and, of those, 59% chose to work remotely during at least some of their leisure trips.
- According to an internal RVshare customer survey, 38% said they now have more opportunities to work remotely than they did pre-pandemic.
Bringing ‘Home’ On the Go: Family Travel
Family travel is projected to remain an important factor when choosing how and where to vacation in 2022. More than half of likely 2022 travellers are looking to spend quality time with family or explore and discover new places next year, both of which have increased in appeal since 2020. Family-focused destinations such as the campground at Disney Fort Wilderness Resort, for example, are continuously among the top destinations for RVshare customers.
- 81% of travellers reported that they are excited to travel with family in 2022.
- 59% of travellers find an RV road trip appealing, followed by trips to National Parks or scenic areas (56%) and family camping trips (45%).
- 62% of parents responded that RVs offer an exciting experience for their children.
- 62% of pet owners are planning to bring their family pets with them on at least some of their trips this year.
- 50% of RVshare rentals on the site are pet-friendly.
National Parks as Popular as Ever
While many Americans visited National Parks in 2021, they continue to top travellers’ lists when thinking about future trips in 2022. And the majority of travellers surveyed would likely choose RV accommodations for trips to National Parks.
- More than half of likely 2022 travellers (54%) say National and state parks, as well as nature reserves, are important factors when deciding what type of vacation to choose in 2022.
- Travellers are most likely to find RVs appealing for trips to National Parks or scenic areas (56%).
- When deciding on the type of vacation to choose for the coming year, nearly two-thirds of likely 2022 travellers (63%) are looking for beautiful scenery and half (50%) are considering outdoor activities.
- For planning a trip to a National Park, the majority of travellers (85%) would be at least somewhat likely to choose an RV over other accommodation options, including 26% who say they’d be 100% likely to do so.
Event Experiences Evolve
As travellers become more and more familiar with RVs, they are increasingly using motorhomes and trailers in creative and unique ways. RVshare provides consumers with the option to have vehicles delivered to a destination, which nearly one-third of renters took advantage of in 2021. And with the reopening of sporting, music and culinary festival events taking place in 2022, demand for RVs is projected to rise. Over half of respondents said they’re very or even 100% likely to choose an RV over other accommodations when attending a music, food or other multi-day festival event, including a sporting event or game.
- 80% of travellers are at least somewhat likely to choose to stay in an RV over other types of accommodations when attending these events.
- 67% of respondents are at least somewhat likely to consider renting an RV over other types of accommodations when planning a tailgating event at a sports stadium, including nearly 1 in 5 (18%) who say they’re 100% likely to do so.
- 24% say RV delivery to an event or festival appeals to them when considering an RV vacation.
- 77% indicated that they’d be more likely to consider an RV trip if the RV is delivered to the destination, particularly a popular choice among travellers coming from urban areas (58% much more likely to choose RV accommodations given this option).
RVshare is the first and largest peer-to-peer RV rental marketplace. With more than 100,000 vehicles available, RVshare’s diverse inventory ranges from affordable travel trailers to luxury motorhomes and can accommodate any outdoor adventure, whether it’s a weekend of camping or a cross-country tour of national parks. Through RVshare, families and groups can experience a one-of-a-kind trip and create memories that will last a lifetime. In addition to offering a unique travel experience, RVshare provides RV owners in North America the opportunity to turn their RV into a second income. For more information, visit rvshare.com, and follow them on Facebook and Instagram @rvshare.